38 As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. 39 Her sister Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. 40 But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come help me.”41 But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:38-42 NLT
Look at the differences between these two sisters who are both in the presence of the Lord. One sister saturates and soaks in the presence. The other sister is so busy and distracted that she totally misses the fact that her Lord and Savior is in the room, right in front of her eyes.
She was:· DISTRACTED- She Lost the Focus.
· BUSY, BUSY, BUSY- She had too many ACTIVITIES going.
· PREPARATIONS- She was the original Martha Stewart perfectionist.
· OVERWHELMED – She was out of God’s will.
· WORRIED, ANGRY, UPSET, CRYING, COMPLAINING – Now she was worn out, on overload and mad at everyone else who was not on her crazy train!
She was:· SITTING AT THE FEET OF JESUS – Surrendering herself, her time and attention. She was submissive and obedient as a servant is to her King.
· LISTENING TO WHAT HE TAUGHT – She sat, Ready to receive. Soaking up wisdom and lessons from her Teacher, Rabbi and Lord.
· THE ONE THING OF CONCERN – The one and only thing that matters, Jesus!
· IT WON’T BE TAKEN AWAY FROM HER – What won’t be taken? Grace, Peace, Love and Joy. And her Relationship and Eternity with Jesus Christ.
MARTHA & MARY BOTH SERVANTS –
On this occasion, SERVING DIFFERENT MASTERS.
One serving and Pleasing People.
One serving and Pleasing Jesus.
WHICH ONE ARE YOU?
· WITH CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS AND FESTIVITIES UPON US HOW CAN WE BE MORE LIKE MARY INSTEAD OF MARTHA?
KEYS TO STAY FOCUSED ON THE ONE THING DURING THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS
* SIMPLIFY! Push the EASY BUTTON. Ask yourself, how can I simplify this? Peace & Simplicity go hand and hand. Less is More. Aim for Excellence Not Perfection!
· * SAY NO TO CHRISTMAS CHAOS! It’s okay to Say NO! Have good Boundaries, Stick to a Budget, have Limits on gifts, money, parties, food. Choose events wisely. Don’t overbook your calendar. Schedule time for Jesus every day! Please God, Not People.
· * PEOPLE CAN’T DRIVE YOU CRAZY IF YOU DON’T GIVE THEM THE KEYS!· We all know that one person that drives us crazy…Don’t give them the keys! Don’t allow a person or situation to steal your peace and joy! Pray for Self -Control, think before you speak, count to ten walk away. Don’t let people hijack your emotions. You can’t control how they act but you can control how you Re-act.* TAKE FIVE. Stop, Breathe and Receive God’s peace.
· · * ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE – Count your Blessings instead of your problems. Live each day with a grateful heart. Your attitude of gratitude is contagious, pass it on. Pay it forward for someone. Serve others, volunteer in a ministry. Start a new family tradition. Make a Gratitude Board or journal and each day write down what you’re thankful for!
· * HAVE GRACE & MERCY- EVERYONE IS FIGHTING A BATTLE. Christmas is a hard time for many. People are dealing with loss, loneliness, sadness, divorce depression, anxiety and grief. Reach out, call or text, invite them to church, get a cup of coffee, share an encouraging Bible verse, be a listening ear, give a hug.
ENCOURAGE, BE COMPASSIONATE. SHARE THE LOVE OF JESUS!
TOSS KINDNESS AROUND LIKE CONFETTI! · * REMEMBER WHAT’S IMPORTANT. JESUS IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU.
JESUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON.
PUT CHRIST BACK IN CHRISTMAS.
BAKE A CAKE AND SING HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS!
· DON’T GET SO BUSY WITH PREPARATION’S, DISTRACTIONS and CELEBRATIONS THAT YOU MISS OUT ON THE ONE THING.
· THE ONE THING IS JESUS.
Hallelujah! Praise the Lord and Share the Good News!
Donna Selma Lind